"The big flame"

13.6.11

I'm so sick of struggling with the semantics of putting together this essay about Gotthold Ephraim Lessing's 18th Century play Emilia Galotti, it's 2:26 on Monday morning and I went and searched out this video on Youtube.

The "Raya", "Ahava" and "Dod" video they showed us on Year 12 retreat! I don't know why they showed it to us and don't remember what I thought of it at the time either. Despite Rob Bell obviously being a wanker and it being hard not to laugh at how serious he's being, I can appreciate that it's pretty cool realising that ancient human civilisations also acknowledged the importance of the "three flames" of all the best relationships. And it does sorta make you think about all the relationships you've been in and know where they were wrong.

The only bit I didn't like was when he tries to tell us that modern society has lost its way as it pursues affairs and perseveres with marriages that have lost their spark (relationships with less than all three flames) and that we need to reconnect with the way "God" wired us to have relationships. I'm pretty sure everyone knows that having all three is the most enjoyable and fulfilling, and sure, call it "spiritual" if you want. It can take a lot of waiting and trial and error and mistakes and making do and going with the flow before you find that with anyone though!

1 comments:

Rory said...

nahhh, this wasn't year 12 retreat. this was just a chapel video. the year 12 retreat one was the "massive dial set" of god's earth and how all the dials had been finely tuned to allow life on earth and how this couldn't be an accident and that god had purpose for each of us because he is the master of all he has created.

Post a Comment